Djokovic has had a breakout season in 2011 and he took over the no. 1 ranking. At the time of writing, his losses can still be counted on one hand. How have the few who defeated him this year reacted in the face of victory?
1. Fed wagged his finger (like a boss). That silenced the critics. In a classic match, the imperator squashed the winning streak of his ersatz rival to the GSOAT throne:
2. Muzz was uncommittedly happy. He made a valiant attempt to rearrange his facial features into a smile (or an un-grimace). He won Cincinnati, but he wavered on the smile:
3. DelPo cried like a baby after clinching the Davis Cup tie against Serbia (Alright, he blubbered. If Nalby were capable of crying actual human tears, he would have shed a few as well. Instead, he grabbed DelPo by the back of the neck while offering a rare embrace):
4. Nishikori rejoiced after serving a bagel in Basel, Switzerland. Djokovic had ventured into enemy territory (Fed’s hometown), only to be served a surprise bagel by Special Kei:
5. And last but not least, FERRU SHRUGGED in Londontown. He said, “Rogelio-Mooorraii-Juan Martin-Nishikori have done it too? What of it? None by the scoreline 6-3 6-1!”:
On surprise factor alone, quiet Ferru has a case for “celebration of the year.” Here’s another where he purses his mouth to convey the perfect “I’m befuddled by how amazing I am” expression. It’s practically ingenious: