I just wanted to share a few links with you before Wimbledon officially starts:
- Interview with DelPo from The Independent: DelPo makes several interesting comments. 1) He said it was only at Wimby last year, when he lost in 4 sets to Rafa, that he vanished his doubts about the serious wrist injury that had sidelined him. 2) He says that while his comeback was quick, the toughest part is to close the gap between the top 5 and himself. Given how difficult it’s been for him to overtake Tipsy for no. 8, the route to the very top is his top goal. 3) This last point is surprising —- DelPo said that if not for his injury, he thinks he could have had a great chance to win the 2010 Australian Open. This really shows all the difference that winning and confidence makes for a player. May his big-dreaming and talking quickly return!
- On a worrisome note, while DelPo’s game improved on grass in 2011, I wonder if he will make gains on that progress at Wimby this year. Although he’s been practicing without knee tape, he’s told reporters that his knee still remains a slight problem. He is also said to have played sluggishly at the Boodles exho, while Ferru and Roddick (who are in his quarter at Wimby) have just picked up titles at their warm-up tournys. Yikes.
- As for Nalbandian, the ATP said they will not be pursuing any action beyond the default and fine, for his incident at Queens. This seems the most logical thing to do, given the actual scope of what happened. Also, in contrast to what mainstream journalists have said, Nalby is not a grumpy loner. He’s received the support of Cilic, Murray, Nadal, Anderson, Berlocq, Dabul, Martina Navatrilova and Jonas Bjorkman after his Queens incident. Take that!
- No more blue clay: The ATP Board have decided that Madrid will no longer be played on blue clay. While I think the surface had its issues, I’m disappointed that they gave up this idea so easily. I think with the correct foundation, a faster clay surface would have been a nice mix to the clay season.
- Uncle Toni Examines Rafa’s Progress: This link is an informative interview with Toni, who explains the changes Rafa made to his game this year. Toni explains how he had Rafa hit his strokes with more bounce by jumping into the shot.
An Argentinean drinks company poked fun at Nalby’s Queens incident by featuring a Nalby-lookalike in their commercial. The Nalby-lookalike is angry that everyone keeps mistaking him for Nalby, so he throws a tantrum:
I can’t imagine the linesman would be too happy watching this ad!