Just a few days after Argentina’s dramatic SF loss this past weekend, the 2013 Davis Cup WG draw was announced today.
Put simply, Argentina’s draw is navigable. They are in the same half of the draw as Switzerland and the Czech Republic. Spain and Serbia (along with the USA) are in the other half of the draw.
Argentina face Germany at home in R1. The winner of that tie will play the the winner of France-Israel in the QF. A possible match-up with Switzerland or Czech Republic awaits in the SF.
Whether Argentina can take advantage of this draw to win, is a truly open question that depends on many factors:
- Will Nalby stay on for another year?
- Will Argentina have found a way to work together as a team again, after this year’s drama?
- Will Fed decide to pursue an all-out strategy for Switzerland and Davis Cup (the one bullet-point missing from his sterling résumé) in 2013?
- Will Berdy continue his good form until 2013, or will he go through another drought?
- Assuming Rafa returns to his top form in 2013, will he decide to play DC, or will he decide it’s better to rest?
- And the scariest question of all — will DelPo’s wrist have healed by 2013, and will this current injury be a past story that’s long forgotten?
If anyone has clear answers to the questions above, please let me know. Although I’m mostly concerned with the last question right now.
As for the other countries in the DC draw, some entertaining R1 match-ups to look forward to include the Canada-Spain and Switzerland-Czech Republic ties (host nations listed first).